NY Area Spartan of the Week: Merritt Lutz
Posted by admin | October 18, 2010
A few Spartan questions for Merritt Lutz:
Q: What was your major at MSU and what year did you graduate?
A: Advertising, BA–1965, Masters, Social Science–1967. I went to school on a music scholarship.
Q: Tell us about your involvement with the Spartan Marching band at MSU, I believe they are still using something you created?
A: Section leader and lead snare drummer of Spartan Marching Band Drumline for three years; ’64 thru ’66. Marched in ’65 Rose Bowl Game and Parade, the ’65 Presidential Inaugural Parade for Lyndon B. Johnson and Hubert Humphrey, and the ’64 NY Worlds Fair. Co-Created the SMB Drum Series in ’65/’66 which is still used today in the march from Music Building to Stadium and back.
Q: What are you doing now for work?
A: Wall Street firm – in charge of global vendor risk practice and also makes Firm equity investments in small technology companies. Currently sit on three Boards of technology companies.
Other activities include:
- Board Director of MSU College of Music
- Sits on Entrepreneur and Venture Capital Board for Eli Broad College of Business
- Raises money for Spartan Drums tosupport their performances at contests and exhibitions.
- Serves as a guest lecturer at the Eli Broad College of Business.
- Currently developing presentation program with the College of Communication Arts.
- Chairman of NY Chapter of Devereux Society to help Autistic children.
- Chairman of American Friends of St. Petersburg (Russia) Philharmonic.
Q: Where do you live?
A: Upper West Side
Q: What is best part of living in NY?
A: All the entertainment—Broadway, Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall
Q: What is best part of being a Spartan in New York?
A: Connected with so many really terrific Spartans of all ages! Enjoy the close knit Spartan community.
Q: If you could invite 3 people from any time who were associated with Michigan State to dinner who would they be?
A: Leonard Falcone (he awarded me the Music Scholarship and inspired me in many ways), John Hannah, and Duffy Daugherty.